Xcode 4.3 is now available (free) on the Mac App Store. There’s a slight difference in distribution: it’s now distributed as an installed app rather than an app installer. This allows Xcode to be updated directly from the Mac App Store just like any other MAS-installed app.
You’ll need to launch the App Store app, search for Xcode, then install. The download weighs in at about 1.5 GB. The updates, according to the MAS, are:
- New code signing workflow to support signing OS X apps with Developer ID (for the OS X 10.8 “Mountain Lion” feature – see “Gatekeeper”)
- Adds installation of command-line tools in the Downloads preference pane
- Open Developer Tool feature launches Instruments, File Merge, and other tools
- ARC Migration tool now supports conversion of both retain/release (manual memory-managed) and Garbage Collected apps
- The ever present miscellaneous “additional bug fixes and stability improvements”